VISSCHER, Nicolaes II (1649-1702). "Ducatus Brunsvicensis fereque Lunaeburgensis Cum adiacentibus Episco: patibus, Comitatibus et Domi: natibus etc : nova et locuple: tissima Descriptio Geogra[hica, correcta, innovate, edita per Nicolaum Visscher....". Amsterdam: Nicolaes Visscher, c. 1690.
Single sheet (22 ¼ x 19 ½) Full margins showing the plate mark. (light foxing & browning along margin, light offsetting).
A stunning color map of the Duchies of Brunswick- Lüneburg, taken from Vissher's compiled Atlas Minor siue Geographia Compendiosa, Qua Orbis Terrarum, per paucas attamen novissimas tabulas ostenditu.
The original hand-coloring is a feast for the eyes, offering outlined borders of territories; a colored border, and figures.
The goddess Demeter sits above the simple title cartouche, holding wheat of the harvest and the coat of arms of the Duchy. She smiles with a downward gaze at the cherub offering her a plate of fruit. The scale of miles can be found below her pedestal.
The Duchy of Brunswick and Lüneburg, was an historical ducal state from the late Middle Ages until the late Early Modern era within the North-Western domains of the Holy Roman Empire of the German Nation, in what is now northern Germany.
The dukedom emerged in 1235 from the allodial lands of the House of Welf in Saxony and was granted as an imperial fief to Otto the Child, a grandson of Henry the Lion. Its name came from the two largest towns in the territory: Brunswick and Lüneburg. The duchy was divided several times during the High Middle Ages amongst various lines of the House of Welf, a European dynasty that has included many German and British monarchs from the 11th to 20th century and Emperor Ivan VI of Russia in the 18th century, but the rulers all continued to be styled as the "Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg" in addition to their various particular titles. The individual principalities making up the duchy continued to exist until the end of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806. Following the Congress of Vienna in 1814/15, the territories became part of the Kingdom of Hanover and Duchy of Brunswick.
The Atlas Minor is a fine and comprehensive composite atlas, and one of a series of large atlases compiled and sold by the Visscher family of art dealers and cartographers in the 17th century. Founded by Nicholas Visscher, this work is known for the high quality of engraving, exceptionally fine ornament, and accurate geographical information. No two of the Visscher atlases seem to have been identical in content, and most contain, like this one, a selection of maps by the Visschers themselves as well as other cartographers. In this case the majority of the maps are published by Visscher. In addition to the striking world map by Allard with its black background and numerous projections, and found in the "Atlas Major" from about 1705, there are maps of the continents, regional maps of Europe, ten maps of Asia, and seven maps related to America.
For more information on this map, or a warm welcome to see other maps and books of our collection at 72nd Street NYC, please contact Natalie Zadrozna.