Folio, (16 x 13 ¾ inches). 6 fine folding lithographed maps with original hand color in full; 13 double-page lithographed maps with original hand color in full; 17 full-page lithographed maps with original hand color in full (long tear in one of the folding maps, affecting image). Original publisher’s half black morocco, brown pebbled cloth gilt (spine and corners very worn with loss).
First edition. The MOST DETAILED early atlas of the Main Line. In addition to showing the various district divisions in each township, each map identifies most of the property owners, as well as businesses and landmarks. The final 10 map sheets together comprise a large map of the entire state. This is only Hopkins’s second atlas, in his second year of business.
“Maps produced by the G.M. Hopkins Company have made a lasting impression on the boundaries of many American cities. Between 1870 and 1940, the company produced over 175 atlases and real estate plat maps that primarily covered the Eastern sea board, including cities, counties, and townships in 18 different states and the District of Columbia. In the early years, the company produced county atlases, but gradually focused on city plans and atlases. They were among the first publishers to create a cadastral atlas, a cross between a fire insurance plat and a county atlas prevalent in the 1860s-1870s. These real estate or land ownership maps (also known as plat maps) not only depict property owners, but show lot and block numbers, dimensions, street widths, and other buildings and landmarks, including churches, cemeteries, mills, schools, roads, railroads, lakes, ponds, rivers, and streams.
“Originally named the G.M. Hopkins and Company, the map-making business was jointly founded in 1865 in Philadelphia, Pa., by the Hopkins brothers, G.M. and Henry. The true identity of G.M. Hopkins remains somewhat of a mystery even today. “G.M.” either stands for Griffith Morgan or George Morgan. There are three different possibilities for the confusion over his identity” (University of Pittsburgh online). “Either the compilers of the earlier [city] directories were negligent; G.M. Hopkins changed his first name; or there were two G.M. Hopkins (father and son) working for the same firm” (Moak, Philadelphia Mapmakers, p. 258). Le Gear L-3046. Phillips 2487.