Single sheet (5 4/8 x 10 inches). Fine watercolour of the city of Rawalpindi with the Himalayas in the background, captioned by the artist in pencil in the mount "Rawal Pindee distant view of the city".
Rawalpindi, now a large city near Islamabad in Pakistan in the northernmost part of the Punjab province, strategically located between the Northwest Frontier Province and Kashmir. Following the British takeover of the region in 1849, the city became a permanent garrison of the British army in 1851, and by the end of the 19th-century, when this watercolour was painted Rawalpindi was the headquarters of the Northern Command and the city became one of the largest and most important of the British garrisons in British India. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India while the Muslim refugees from India settled in the Rawalpindi.