2 volumes. 8vo., (9 x 6 inches). Half titles. Fine folding engraved map with original hand color in outline (some offsetting to facing page), and 7 chromolithographed and 4 tinted lithographed plates after by Hanart after Möllhausen, 8 wood-engraved plates, 4 woodcuts in the text (some spotting. Original publisher’s red cloth gilt, (extremities a bit worn, one or two pale stains).
Provenance: With the bookplate of Frances Mary Richardson Currer (1785-1861) to front pastedowns and a partially removed bookplate in volume two.
First English edition, first published in Leipzig the same year. Möllhausen, a Prussian artist, who visited the United States three times in the 1850s, experiences which “gave Möllhausen the material and experiences he used to produce illustrations, diaries, and fiction for nearly fifty years. His works made him enormously popular with Germans of all ages and classes, and he has become known as ‘the German Cooper.’ After arriving in the United States in 1849 and working in the Midwest, in 1851 Möllhausen traveled through the Plains to Fort Laramie with Prince Paul of Württemberg. He returned to Germany in 1852 with a shipment of wild animals for the Berlin zoo and met Alexander von Humboldt. He soon became a favorite of the old explorer and, bearing a recommendation from Humboldt, returned to the United States, where he joined Lt. Amiel Weeks Whipple’s Pacific Railroad survey of the Thirty-fifth parallel as ‘topographer or draughtsman.’ The party traveled from Fort Smith, Arkansas, to Pueblo de los Angeles in 1853-54. Möllhausen made several illustrations in the Texas Panhandle that appear in Whipple’s report” (Doherty). “A Diary” is Möllhausen’s separate account of this expedition with Whipple. (Kathleen Doherty for Texas State Historical Association). Wagner-Camp 305:2. Mintz 582. Streeter sale 5:3134. Howes M713. Wheat, Books of the Gold Rush 145. Graff 2849. Rader 2418. Smith 6908. Farquhar, Colorado River 19b. Sabin 49915. Wheat, Maps of the California Gold Region 268 note. Wheat, Mapping the Transmississippi West 956.