McMILLAN, John G. Official map of the County of Santa Clara, California, compiled from official surveys and records and the tax-list of 1902-3. 1903
6 sheets joined with 2 sheets as overlays (overall size 67 4/8 x 77 inches) laid down on linen at the time of issue. A MAGNIFICENT large wall map on rollers of Santa Clara County, published in 8 sheets, those with the title and the southeastern portion of the county as overlays lower center and lower left respectively, with borders designed to provide grid references created for issue as a wall-map (top roller replaced, one or two repairs to verso).
Showing the the area roughly centred on San Jose from San Francisco Bay in the northwest to the border with Stanislau and Merced Counties in the east, and Benito County in the southeast, and so an early map of what would become Silicon Valley and the home of Stanford University, founded barely ten years before this map was printed.
"Approved and declared the official map of Santa Clara County by order of the Board of Supervisors, July 7th, 1903", this is a very detailed map, it shows roads, railroads, land ownership, ranchos, township and section lines, school districts. It includes an "Index to Spanish grants and early private land claims " and a list of post offices.
STANFORD UNIVERSITY: In 1876, "former California Governor Leland Stanford purchased 650 acres of Rancho San Francisquito for a country home and began the development of his famous Palo Alto Stock Farm. He later bought adjoining properties totaling more than 8,000 acres.
"The little town that was beginning to emerge near the land took the name Palo Alto (tall tree) after a giant California redwood on the bank of San Francisquito Creek. The tree itself is still there and would later become the university's symbol and centerpiece of its official seal.
"Leland Stanford, who grew up and studied law in New York, moved West after the gold rush and, like many of his wealthy contemporaries, made his fortune in the railroads. He was a leader of the Republican Party, governor of California and later a U.S. senator. He and Jane had one son, who died of typhoid fever in 1884 when the family was traveling in Italy. Leland Jr. was just 15. Within weeks of his death, the Stanfords decided that, because they no longer could do anything for their own child, "the children of California shall be our children." They quickly set about to find a lasting way to memorialize their beloved son.
"The Stanfords considered several possibilities – a university, a technical school, a museum. While on the East Coast, they visited Harvard, MIT, Cornell and Johns Hopkins to seek advice on starting a new university in California. (See note regarding accounts of the Stanfords visit with Harvard President Charles W. Eliot.) Ultimately, they decided to establish two institutions in Leland Junior's name - the University and a museum. From the outset they made some untraditional choices: the university would be coeducational, in a time when most were all-male; non-denominational, when most were associated with a religious organization; and avowedly practical, producing "cultured and useful citizens."
"On October 1, 1891, Stanford University opened its doors after six years of planning and building. The prediction of a New York newspaper that Stanford professors would "lecture in marble halls to empty benches" was quickly disproved. The first student body consisted of 555 men and women, and the original faculty of 15 was expanded to 49 for the second year. The university’s first president was David Starr Jordan, a graduate of Cornell, who left his post as president of Indiana University to join the adventure out West" (Stanford University online).
John G. McMillan served as the Santa Clara County Surveyor from 1890 to 1914. Born in 1851 in Rhode Island, he served as Surveyor of Sutter County in California from 1877 to 1881. He next worked as a railroad surveyor for the Southern Pacific Company and as chief engineer of surveys for Stanford University. He also owned his own private business called McMillan & McMillan, Civil Engineers and Surveyors, which he ran with his son Percy W. McMillan.