MARSTON, John B. City of Toledo Lucas Co. Ohio, 1868.
Fine folding lithographed map (68 x 53 4/8 inches), laid down on linen in 25 sections. The title upper left, and a lithograph of Brown's Hotel laid down lower right. Tipped-in to original maroon cloth wallet (front cover detached).
Provenance: from the important cartographical library of Warren Heckrotte, his sale, Rare Cartography, Exploration and Voyages, part III, March 10th, 2016, lot 203
An attractive, detailed and large scale, map of Toledo, Ohio. Warren Heckrotte comments that "Lots are shown and numbered. Areas of Visalia and Port Lawrence, the original two towns from which Toledo was formed are named. The Atlas of Ohio, 1872, has a reduced size version of Marston's map of Toledo, which shows some additions."
By the time this map was published the Erie Canal, which had opened in 1845, brought significant business to Toledo, turning it into a growing seaport along Lake Erie. When railroads began to emerge as a key form of transportation in Ohio in the second half of the nineteenth century, "Toledo became a destination for a number of railroad lines. In addition, a number of industries began to emerge in the city, including furniture companies, carriage makers, breweries, railroad manufacturing companies, and glass companies, among others. The Libbey Glass Works was located in Toledo and helped to make the community known as the "City of Glass." By 1880, Toledo boasted a population of more than fifty thousand people, making it one of the largest cities in the state. Many immigrants began to settle in Toledo by the late nineteenth century, attracted to the city because of the factory jobs available and the city's accessibility by rail and by water' (Ohio History online). OCLC/WorldCat lists only four copies, at the Huntington Library, the American Antiquarian Society, the Library of Congress, and the British Library.