MARSHAM, Sir John (1602–1685). Chronicus Canon Aegyptiacus Ebraicus Graecus & Disquisitiones. London: Thomas Roycroft, 1672.
Folio (12 x 7 4/8 inches). Vignette title-page, woodcut head-piece and initials. 19th-century tan morocco, the spine in seven compartments with six raised bands, brown morocco lettering-pieces in two, the others decorated with small gilt tools (a bit scuffed, and with one or two surface abrasions).
Second and expanded edition, first published in 1665 in an edition of 500, much of which was destroyed by the great fire of London in 1666.
A prosperous resident of Cuxton near Rochester in Kent, and one of the Six Clerks in Chancery, the civil war of the 1640s "caused a reversal in Marsham's fortunes. He followed the king to Oxford, with the result that he was deprived by the parliamentarians of his chancery post and had his estates sequestrated—losing, according to his son Robert, around £60,000. He was eventually allowed to compound for his estates for the sum of £356 6s. 2d. and retired to Cuxton, devoting himself to his antiquarian studies.
"Marsham was MP for Rochester in the Convention Parliament which restored the monarchy in 1660. He was knighted on 5 July 1660, was able to resume his position in the six clerks' office, and was created a baronet in August 1663.
"Years of private study at Cuxton had already borne fruit in Marsham's Diatriba chronologica, a treatise on the dating of the Old Testament, published in London in 1649. About 1665 he brought out a much longer work, incorporating most of the Diatriba, entitled Chronicus canon Aegyptiacus, Ebraicus, Graecus et disquisitiones, dealing with the dating of ancient history. A note in a surviving copy states that 500 copies of this edition were destroyed in September 1666 in the fire of London, in which Sir John's library also suffered. Marsham profited by this setback to enlarge his work. An expanded edition of the Chronicus canon came out in 1672. The 1672 version subsequently appeared in two foreign editions, one at Leipzig in 1676 and the other at Franeker, in Friesland, Netherlands, in 1696" (Shirley Burgoyne Black for DNB).