Map of the River Sabine from its Mouth on the Guld of Mexico in the Sea to Logan's Ferry
Drawn by Lieut. T.J. Lee, U.S. Topographical Engineers
Engraved by W.J. Stone
Lithograph, 37 x 30 1/2 inches
Lithograph in 5 Parts. Issued by the United States and Texas Joint Commission for Marking Boundary. Certificate of correctness signed by U.S.. Commissioner J. Overton. Washington D.C., 1842. dimensions vary, approximately 37 x 30 1/2 or 29 1/2 x 30 1/2 inches sheet. The Map Used by Texas & the United States to Settle The Republic's Eastern Boundary. This extremely important document is listed by Texas authority Thomas Winthrop Streeter as being one of the six most important maps for a collector of Texana. Its significance is also noted by Martin and Martin. One of the first diplomatic duties of the first President of Texas, Sam Houston, after the Republic's new congress met in December, 1836, was to resolve the dispute over the Republic's eastern boundary. Unimportant to New Spain until the Louisiana Purchase brought an aggressive new neighbor to its doorstep, its exact location had never been determined. A "neutral ground" between New Spain and the United States quickly became a safe haven for outlaws and bandits, and the Adams-Onís Treaty of 1819 (formally titled the Treaty of Amity, Settlement, and Limits Between the United States of America and His Catholic Majesty, and also known as the Transcontinental Treaty of 1819, and sometimes the Florida Purchase Treaty) established the border at the Sabine River. But during the Texas Revolution, the United States again contested the border and claimed territory 50 miles west of the Sabine, even sending troops into the area. The Republic congress defined its eastern boundary to be the Sabine River as established by the Adams-Onís. President Sam Houston then began a series of diplomatic contacts with the United States government, culminating in the signing of a treaty in Washington, with the United States relinquishing territory west of the Sabine and mandating a thorough survey of the border by a joint commission of representatives This rare survey is symbolic of the strength of U .S. and Texas Republic relations in the few years before annexation. While it shows the eastern border chosen by the Republic congress and the United States, it also marks an early diplomatic triumph for President Houston and his eventual quest for unification. On a chilly gray morning in 1840, a joint team of three representatives of the United States Corp of topographical engineers and two engineer/surveys from the Republic met at the mouth of the Sabine River. An early dispute dulled the joint effort when the two sides could not agree where the exact starting point should be. After reaching an agreement the five started slowly northward, making detailed soundings. Unlike surveyors working decades earlier, the team was operating in a major waterway into prosperous northeastern Texas. Their calculations were made amidst flatboats and timber rafts brimming with cotton and lumber. The map's presentation in 1842 marked the final agreement on the eastern border of Texas. References: T. W. Streeter, Bibliography of Texas, 1795-1845 (Cambridge, 1955-60), 1439 and p. 239; and J. C. Martin & R. S. Martin, Maps of Texas and the Southwest, 1513-1900 (Albuquerque, 1984), p. 36n.
Description compiled by Erik Brockett who is pleased to provide additional information relating to this or other examples of antique American maps available at Arader Galleries. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org