Folio (18 4/8 x 12 2/8 inches). 40 pages printed in red and black with musical notation, additional 18 pages of manuscript, 15 in Latin in red and black, 3 others in German. Contemporary half calf, marbled paper boards (rebacked).
Provenance: with the library label of the Redemptorists, "CSSR Domus Mauternensis", founded in 1732
A Franciscan Hymnal from the mother house of the Redemtorists, or "CSSR" (Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer), a Roman Catholic missionary Congregation founded by Saint Alphonsus Liguori at Scala, near Amalfi, Italy for the purpose of labouring among the neglected country people in the neighbourhood of Naples. The existence of the Friars Minor or first order properly dates from 1209, in which year St. Francis obtained from Innocent III an unwritten approbation of the simple rule he had composed for the guidance of his first companions: to observe the Holy Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ by living in obedience, without property, and in chastity. Catalogued by Kate Hunter