HOLDEN, Richard (ca 1626-1702). The Improvement of Navigation A great Cause of the Increase of Knowledge. London: John Martyn, 1680.

$ 600.00

HOLDEN, Richard (ca 1626-1702). The Improvement of Navigation A great Cause of the Increase of Knowledge. A Sermon Preached June 7. 1680. before the Corporation of Trinity = House in Deptford Strand, At the Election of their Master. London: Printed by J. Macock, for John Martyn at the Bell in St. Paul's Church-Yard, 1680.

Small 4to., (8 x 6 inches). Errata leaf at end (title-page browned). Modern half tan calf, blue paper boards, gilt. 

"... to shew how much the modern improvements are advanced beyond the utmost that the boldest Adventurers of old could attain to: the new Islands and Kingdoms, and the new World discovered of late Ages do give abundant proof of that, and your own experience confirms it.... the consequent of this improvement, the benefit which should thereby redound to mankind; that together with Navigation, knowledge should likewise proportionably advance too. 1. The knowledge of Nature. 2. The knowledge of Arts. 3. The knowledge of Divine Providence; and 4. The knowledge of true Religion" (page 8).

Holden was Vicar St. Nicholas Church, Deptford, London, during which time the church was rebuilt in redbrick in 1697. The ancient Corporation of Trinity House in London, to whom Holden preached this sermon, is the General Lighthouse Authority for England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar.The Corporation of Trinity House was "incorporated by royal charter in 1514. There is a tradition which dates the existence of a Trinity guild from the 13th century but there is no firm evidence to support this. When the charter was granted, Trinity House had a hall and almshouses at Deptford. Premises were acquired in Ratcliff and Stepney in the 17th century and meetings were held at all three sites. The Corporation bought a property in Water Lane in the City of London in 1660. The Hall in Water Lane burnt down and was rebuilt twice, in 1666 and 1714. When it proved too cramped for proposed improvements in the 1790s, the Corporation bought land at Tower Hill on which Trinity House was built 1793-6. The present building retains the 1790s facade but a bomb on 30 December 1940 destroyed most of the rest of the original building which was sympathetically rebuilt in 1952-3" (The Guildhall online). ESTC R4281. Catalogued by Kate Hunter