Single sheet (13 4/8 x 19 inches; full margins showing the plate mark). Fine engraved view of Constantinople from Pera, with the City in the background on the far side of the Bosphorus, and Pera and Galata in the foreground, with a detailed key in Latin and German, beneath the image, with original hand-colour in full (some marginal spotting).
Constantinople was founded by the Roman emperor Constantine in 330. From the conquest of the city by Sultan Mehmet II in 1453 it was known as Istanbul; meaning "in the city". Constantinople officially became Istanbul in 1930. It was still referred to as Constantinople until the 1960s. At the time of this engraving the City was divided into three sections: Stambul and Pera on the European side of the Bosporus, and Scutari on the Asian side.
Historically the European side of Constantinople was divided into a Moslem side known as Stambul and a non-Moslem side known as Galata, Pera, and Beyoglu. Pera was the northern expansion of Galata. In this engraving the walls surrounding Galata are still visible. Beyoglu was what the Ottoman Turks called Pera. The two sides were divided by the estuary of the Golden Horn.
At the time of this engraving, the Ottoman Empire was emerging from the First Russo-Turkish War of 1768–1774. The Treaty of Küçük Kaynarca of 1774 ended the war with Russia, but conflicts continued into the 19th-century.