Single sheet (7 x 9 3/8 inches to the neat line), full margins, showing the plate-mark. A fine engraved map of the Gulf of Venice, centered on Venice and showing the coastal islands rivers, lakes, mountains, towns and cities (small marginal waterstain top right).
A beautiful map of the Gulf of Venice from the first edition of Gioseppe Moleto's Latin re-translation of Ptolemy after Bilibald Pirckheymer, published by Valgrisi in Venice in 1562. The map is an enlarged copy of the Gastaldi's map from the Venice 1548 edition made by Giulio and Livio Sanuto, and first published as such in Girolamo Ruscelli's 1561 edition of Ptolemy.
Giacomo Gastaldi (ca.1500-1565), was known as "Cosmographer to the Venetian Republic, then a powerhouse of commerce and trade. He sought the most up to date geographical information available, and became one of the greatest cartographers of the sixteenth century" (Burden). Gastaldi was, and styled himself, 'Piemontese', and this epithet appears often after his name. Born at the end of the fifteenth or the beginning of the sixteenth century, he does not appear in any records until 1539, when the Venetian Senate granted him a privilege for the printing of a perpetual calendar. His first dated map appeared in 1544, by which time he had become an accomplished engineer and cartographer. Karrow has argued that Gastaldi's early contact with the celebrated geographical editor, Giovanni Battista Ramusio, and his involvement with the latter's work, "Navigationi et Viaggi", prompted him to take to cartography as a full-time occupation. In any case Gastaldi was helped by Ramusio's connections with the Senate, to which he was secretary, and the favourable attitude towards geography and geographers in Venice at the time. Nordenskiold Collection 2 217; Phillips, Atlases 372; Sabin 66489