GARCIA CONDE, Diego (1760-1822) - CALVO, Rafael María - MAVERICK, Peter (1780-1831). Plano general de la Ciudad de Mexico. Levantado por el Teniente Coronel Don Diego Garcia Conde en el ano de 1793. Aumentado y corregido en lo mas notable por el Teniente Coronel retirado, Don Rafael Maria Calvo en el de 1830
Fine folding engraved map (20 x 22 inches) of Mexico City in 1793, with original hand-colour in full, the title upper left, and a table with key arranged by 'quarter' of the city showing the location of plazas, important buildings and landmarks, engraved by Peter Maverick, tipped into original scarlet morocco, gilt wallet
Provenance: with the ink library stamp of the photographic studio of Manuel Gonsalez on the verso of the map; with the engraved bookplate of Frederick Starr (1858-1933), American academic and anthropologist, on the inside of the wallet
First United States edition of this rare map of Mexico City, first surveyed for the map in 1793, and first published in much larger format in 1807, and then in London in 1811 in smaller format as here. Engraved by the New York engraver Peter Maverick, the son of the Colonial-era engraver of the same name. Rafael María Calvo, who corrected and augmented the map, was a retired officer of the Regiment of Infantry of the Spanish Royal Engineers.
Built in the middle of lake Tenochtitlan, Mexico City had been prone to regular flooding until the late 18th-century that engineering works were truly successful in keeping the water at bay, after which the city grew rapidly. By the time of the survey for this map in the early 1790s, during the viceregal administration of Conde de Revillagigedo, the city had advanced towards the east and south and west, as the north was still bounded by water. To the west, it expanded to what is now Balderas Street. The populated area reached eastward to the lakeshore, which then was just beyond the now Circuito Interior and the La Merced Market. To the south began to appear houses in an area now called Colonia Doctores. To the west, following what is now Avenida Chapultepec towards the Ciudadela, now the National Library, near Metro Balderas. To the north past Tlatelolco and to the south to Topacioa and the now Calzada de la Viga.
At the time of the survey Mexico City was still under Spanish rule and independence would not come until 1821, followed by the creation of the Mexican republic in 1824. When this edition of the map was published in 1830 Mexico was relatively stable, with the war with America still 15 years in the future. Carrera Stampa 256. Lombardo, Atlas historico de la ciudad de Mexico, plate 152. Orozco y Berra, Materiales para una cartografia Mexicana, p. 262. Orozco y Berra, Memoria para el Plano de Mexico, p. 11 (XXXI). Palau 98697. Not in Phillips, Maps of America. Tooley's Dictionary of Mapmakers, Vol. III, p. 225.