FLORIMI, Matteo (ca 1540-1615). Moscovia. Questa città é la principale de la provincia di Russia... Sienne: Matteo Florini, [no date, but ca 1600].
Single sheet, mounted at an early date on grey blue stock (14 x 19 6/8 inches; 19 4/8 x 24 4/8 inches). An exceptionally fine engraved map of the ancient walled city of Moscow on either side of the frozen Moskva and Neglinnaya Rivers with their connecting moat, and showing the and peopled with Cossacks mounted on horseback, people sledding and skating; the title across the top of the map, the lengthy legend lower right, and the arms of the city upper left.
A rare and magnificent map of Moscow, surrounded by the rivers Moskva and Neglinnaya and the moat, designed by the Italian architect Aleviz Fryazin (Novy), in front of the eastern wall, and defended by a huge wall with many towers, built between 1584 and 1591 by a craftsman named Fyodor Kon, although the city has spread beyond its gates.
Based on the map of Sigismund Herberstein first printed in Basel in 1563, which would influence the depiction of the city for the next 100 years, including Braun and Hogenberg's first view of Moscow, published in Civitatus Orbis Terrarum, 1575.
Florimi, one of the later Lafreri school of mapmakers, was descended from a family of calligraphers, was a publisher and printer active in Siena, where he published his first work in 1589 "The Pilgrim". He produced both printed books and a considerable number of loose engravings, mostly of geographical and religious subjects, including maps. He worked in collaboration with the Flemish engravers P. de Jode, C. Galle, who appears to have had as a student his son John, and M. de Vos, and much of his work was derivative. Not in Tooley.