Arader Galleries
0

No Images

WHITAKER, Thomas Dunham (1759–1821) - THORESBY, Ralph (1658–1725). Ducatus Leodiensis: Or, The Topography of the Ancient and Populous Town and Parish of Leedes,... [AND] Loidis and Elmete;... Leeds: Robinson and others, 1816.

WHITAKER, Thomas Dunham (1759–1821) - THORESBY, Ralph (1658–1725). Ducatus Leodiensis: Or, The Topography of the Ancient and Populous Town and Parish of Leedes,... [AND] Loidis and Elmete;... Leeds: Robinson and others, 1816.

0.00

WHITAKER, Thomas Dunham (1759–1821). Ducatus Leodiensis: Or, The Topography of the Ancient and Populous Town and Parish of Leedes, And Parts Adjacent in the West-Riding of the County of York. with the Pedigrees of many of the Nobility and Gentry, and other matters relating to those parts; extracted from records, original evidences, and manuscripts,... to which is added, at the request of several learned persons, A Catalogue of His Museum, with the Curiosities Natural and Artificial, and the Antiquities; particularly the Roman, British, Saxon, Danish, Norman, and Scotch Coins, with Modern Medals. Also a Catalogue of Manuscripts; the various editions of the Bible, and of Books Published in the Infancy of the Art of Printing. With an account of some unusual accidents that have attended some persons, attempted after the method of Dr. Plot.  [AND] Loidis and Elmete; or, an Attempt to Illustrate the districts Described in Those Words by Bede; and supposed to Embrace the Lower Portions of Aredale and Wharfdale, together with the Entire Vale of Calder, in the county of York. Leeds: Printed by B. Dewhirst, for Robinson, Son, and Holdsworth; and John Hurst, Wakefield, 1816.

Together 2 volumes. Folio (19 x 13 2/8 inches). Half-title, sectional title-pages, title-page with engraved vignette laid down on papier de chine. Engraved frontispiece portrait in each volume, 2 hand-coloured aquatints, 65 full-page engraved or lithographed plates of portraits, views and plans, 35 engraved vignettes, 26 double-page or folding genealogical tables,  numerous wood-engravings in the text (some occasionally heavy spotting throughout). Fine contemporary full tan morocco by J Mackenzie, each cover decorated with broad borders of gold filets and acanthus leaf roll tools, the spines in seven compartments with six raised bands, gilt-lettered in two, the others with borders of gold filets, all edges gilt.

Provenance: from the library of the Marquises of Bath at Longleat, their sale, Sotheby's, 11th June, 1979, lot 159; with the bookplate of Hugh T. Fattorini (1834-2005), bibliophile, his sale, Sotheby's 30th April 2015, lot 99.

Second edition of Thoresby's work, enlarged and edited by Whitaker, first edition of Whitaker's, both LARGE PAPER COPIES. Loidis and Elmete includes two appendices at the end, both published in about 1820. The first consists of 88 pages and 4 plates, one of which is bound at page 270 of the main work, and the other, a portrait of William Hey, is moved from the main text to page 32 of the appendix. The second appendix: A Series of Views of the Abbeys and Castles in Yorkshire, 1820, consists of 8 pages and 4 plates of Rievaulx Abbey. 

Thoresby's great work was the Ducatus Leodiensis, or, The Topography of Leedes (1715). "From the time he settled on the project in the early 1690s, Thoresby worked industriously towards its completion. This was not the first topographical publication of importance about a provincial town but it was the first work of importance by a Yorkshire antiquary. Attached to the main body of the text was a catalogue of the Musaeum Thoresbyanum and the volume included a very fine map of the area. Ducatus was published by subscription and was dedicated to Peregrine Osborne, marquess of Carmarthen and heir apparent to the duke of Leeds, and to the mayor of Leeds and aldermen of Leeds. About 2000 copies were printed and sold for £3. A second edition appeared in 1816, with notes and additions by Thomas Dunham Whitaker [as here]" (P. E. Kell for DNB).

In the early "1790s, influenced by his friend and patron Charles Towneley of Towneley Hall, 2 miles from Holme, Whitaker began work on a monumental history of the parish of Whalley, a project which fuelled his growing ambition to become vicar of that parish and which was researched extensively from original sources. The history was published, as a subscription work, in 1801 and was an immediate success: a second edition appeared in 1806 and a third in 1818. Whitaker's Whalley is among the most important and valuable topographical-cum-antiquarian histories of the early nineteenth century, and its interest is greatly enhanced by the author's employment of the young J. M. W. Turner to illustrate the book. Turner was introduced to Whitaker through their mutual friend Charles Towneley, and he visited the Whalley area to paint a number of watercolours from which the published engravings were made. The success of Whalley encouraged Whitaker to extend his geographical scope. In 1805 he published his History of Craven, which went into a second edition in 1812; in 1816 came Loidis and Elmete, a history of the area around Leeds, including lower Wharfedale and Airedale; and in 1823, posthumously, The History of Richmondshire, the first and only part of a projected history of Yorkshire. The last two were also illustrated by Turner, their value today being associated more with the artist than the author. Whitaker also published a number of other minor works, including twenty-eight articles in the Quarterly Review, but it is the topographical histories which remain his monument" (Alan G. Crosby for DNB). Upcott III, p.1384 and p.1386. Catalogued by Kate Hunter

 

 

Quantity:
Add To Cart